|UBC Botanical Garden is Canada’s oldest continuously operating university botanical garden. The original mission of the garden was research into the native flora of British Columbia. Over the past nine decades, our mission has broadened to include research, conservation, teaching and public display of temperate plants from around the world, particularly Asian, alpine and native plants. We’re also home to the Greenheart Canopy Walkway.
Come visit us – we’re located at 6804 SW Marine Drive, Vancouver, BC. You can find more info at ubcbotanicalgarden.org
UBC Botanical Garden Apple Festival
This weekend October 16 and 17, 2010
11 am to 4 pm
Admission fee – $2 for adults. Under 12 free. Includes free entry to the Garden!
Bring Your Bike! Free bike valet parking services provided by Vancouver Cycling Coalition. Located the boulevard in front of the Garden entrance at 6804 SW Marine Drive. Donations graciously accepted.
The annual UBC Botanical Garden Apple Festival celebrates its 20th anniversary this weekend. Organizers have ordered more than 37,000 pounds of apples, including 9,000 pounds of organic fruit from local suppliers. More than 70 varieties of heritage and new apples will be available, including Bramley’s Seedling and Cox’s Orange Pippin apples. Also available for sale are apple trees grafted onto dwarfing root stock, ideal for the home garden or patio.
– Apple tasting ($3) and the “Apples of the Apple Festival” guide book with variety descriptions, info on growing, harvesting, ripening and storage
– Johnny Appleseed Orchard children’s area
– Apple pie, hot apple cider and other treats
– The Vancouver Island-based BC Fruit Testers Association will display nearly 200 B.C. grown varieties of apples and give demonstrations of grafting and cider-pressing. Public can bring varieties from their garden to be identified
– Master gardeners discuss apple-related diseases and pest management
– Craft vendors, UBC Herbarium merchandise and UBC Farm produce
– Buskers will provide musical entertainment and a musical performance will be held in the Roseline Sturdy Amphitheatre at 1 p.m. daily
– UBC Farm is excited to be a part of the UBC Botanical Garden’s AppleFest. In addition to a booth on-site at the festival, they will be offering tours of the UBC Farm Heritage Orchard
Media sponsor: CKNW AM 980 Radio