Vancouver Was Awesome: Power Block, ca. 1925

1
1126

A Vancouver time travelogue brought to you by Past Tense.

This recently demolished building went up in 1888 as a saloon for Captain William Power of Port Moody at 819 Granville, just south of Robson. A new art deco facade was added in 1929, which has been retained for the new development that’s currently under construction.

The building got a lot of attention earlier this year when a (now gone) ghost sign for Harold Lloyd’s Grandma’s Boy was revealed during the demolition of the Farmer Building next door.

The Burns family became one of the wealthiest family dynasties in Western Canada from their meatpacking business. Dominic Burns took over this building and renovated it in 1911 for their Granville Market, which occupied the building until 1928.

This area has been undergoing its biggest transformation since the Pacific Centre development went up in the late 1960s and 1970s. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to the old Eaton’s building once Sears closes up shop.

Source: City of Vancouver Archives #99-3053

SHARE
Previous articleNew $5 silver coin celebrating Rick Hansen’s 25th Anniversary Relay
Next articleRead All Over — Rob Taylor