|THE PROOF is a weekly roundup showcasing local creatives. A column for creatives to share their story and work, in a unique, concise format: each creative shows 8 pictures and answers 8 questions. Past participants include Bob Kronbauer, Omer Arbel, Carson Ting, Erin Boniferro, Sincerely Hanna, Ben Tour, Jeff Topham – all living in Vancouver.|
Having worked side by side with Malcolm for the past 3 years, I can safely say, that Malcolm Levy basically has one of the coolest perspectives around on life, art, music and culture. He has made it his mission to create a life that speaks to these passions, and is constantly looking at new ways to evolve his practice, and the work of the organizations he is involved with.Thriving on a constant and relentless hustle, Malcolm always has a ton of interesting projects on the go, and has mobilized an incredible group of people to do the work with him. Malcolm started the new forms festival in 2000, is the Director of Hybridity, he is also a video artist, photographer, and documentary film maker.
Sarah Cole-Burnett, Creative Director
1. Poking fun at my neurosis.
2. A new collage of images for my thesis show at the New School in New York.
3. Driving in the early morning for coffee.
4. Taking a photo of a New Forms Media using our New iPhone App ‘Generate’.
5. Filming Abstractions.
6. Watching one of the bands on the label, in this case Sabota.
7. Hanging out with the coolest guy I know, Sebastian Lotus Peltz Levy.
8. Getting a sneak peak of the install for the 1024 Installation at New Forms Festival 13.
1. What neighborhood do you live in?
2. What do you do and where?
Art Projects from Mixed Use.
3. What are you working on?
New Forms, Hybridity, Mixed Use, Touch, Evolution, ISEA 2015, My thesis at the New School.
5. Who are your role models?
Gertrude Stein, Woody Allen, David Byrne and James Turrell.
6. What keeps you going in this industry?
The ability to continually create new things.
7. If you had a chance to start your career all over again, how would you do it differently?
I would have focused more on music and continued to. I am starting this again now, and I had a 14 year gap.
8. What advice do you wish someone would have given you when you were young?
I got great advice from my mentors, but the one thing I tell people is to really have confidence in what they are doing at a young age, as they are likely right.
If you were going to recommend a creative to VIA, who would it be? (optional)
Post – Projects. They are the best.
New Forms Festival: Contemporary Art & Music Festival
Date: September 12-15, 2013
Advance tickets: http://2013.newformsfestival.com/tickets/
New Forms Media Society is a non-profit society and media arts organization founded in 2000 that nurtures and connects local and international arts, science and grassroots communities through the annual New Forms Festival.
By promoting Canadian Artists in collaboration with the international arts and technology world, the NFF facilitates multimodal art works and engages in discussion on their role in our cultural environment. Since its inception, an integral element of the NFF is the recognition of independent and groundbreaking artists; the NFF aims to showcase and increase awareness of these artists and their work within our community and beyond by promoting them within a larger milieu.
The NFF is part of a larger, international, multi-media festival movement, which explores the ever changing and evolving world of art and creates a platform for artistic growth. The society wishes to make new media art, music, film, technology based installation and performance accessible to a wider audience.