Vancouver Opera House
Despite Vancouver’s population only being around 13,000, 1891 marked the opening year of the city’s gigantic 1,200 seat Opera House on Granville Street. The Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) spent $100,000 constructing the building, and although it was extravagant in size at the time, it served as a symbol of the CPR’s optimistic vision of what Vancouver would eventually become. After being bought, sold, and renovated numerous times, it was eventually demolished in the 1960s.
View the entire Metro Vancouver History 365 Series HERE.