For its 10th anniversary, Ocean Wise’s Seafood Chowder Chowdown at the Vancouver Aquarium is poised to be the most star-studded serving yet.
With 13 past Chowder champs coming back to face off on Wednesday, November 22, seafood fans can expect good eats by the ladle-ful, and even more fantastic beer and cocktail options than before.
With each of their tasty entries being served up, the returning chefs will be vying for the title of 2017 Chowder Chowdown All-Star Champion, as judged by an industry and media panel.
The panel will also name a winner for best chowder and beer pairing, and guests will have their say by casting their vote for the People’s Choice Award winner.
“Vancouver is the birthplace of the Ocean Wise seafood program as well as Chowder Chowdown,” said Ann-Marie Copping, Ocean Wise seafood program manager. “It’s a great chance to try some local sustainable seafood while rubbing elbows with like-minded foodies and chefs who are all part of this powerful movement.”
Here are the participating chefs:
- ARC Restaurant, Fairmont Waterfront – Executive Chef Karan Suri (2015 People’s Choice Restaurant)
- Boulevard Kitchen + Oyster Bar – Chef Roger Ma (2015 Judge’s Choice Chowder Champion Chef)
- Brodo Kitchen – Chef Paul Cecconi (2011 Judge’s Choice Chowder Champion Chef)
- Hapa Izakaya – Chef Yosuke Okubo (2010 Judge’s & People’s Choice Restaurant)
- Locals Restaurant – Chef Rob Schrier (2017 Winner of Comox by the Sea’s Ocean Wise Chowder Challenge)
- Mercatto – Chef Doug Neigel (2013 Judge’s Choice Chowder Champion, Toronto)
- Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts – Chef Julian Bond (2017 Winner of Devour! Osoyoos’s Ocean Wise Chowder Competition)
- Pacific Yacht Charters – Chef Mardy Ra (2011 People’s Choice Restaurant)
- Preston’s Restaurant + Lounge/Coast Coal Harbour Hotel – Chef Justin Paakkunainen (2015 Best Beer Pairing Restaurant)
- The White Whale Restaurant – Owner & Executive Chef Aaron Rail (2016 Judge’s & People’s Choice Chowder Champion)
- Thomsons Restaurant, Hyatt Regency Calgary – Jennifer Jaewon Kim (2013 People’s Choice Restaurant, Calgary)
- Vancouver Aquarium | Ocean Wise Catering & Events – Executive Chef Ned Bell (2014 Judge’s & People’s Choice Chowder Champion Chef; 2013 People’s Choice Chowder Champion Chef)
- The Wooden Boat – Chef Thompson Tran (2016 Best Beer Pairing)
Tickets to Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown are $75 + GST and can be purchased online. It’s always a sold out night, so don’t miss out!
When: Wednesday, November 22 at 7 pm
Where: Vancouver Aquarium – 845 Avison Way
Tickets: $75 + GST; available online