Anyone familiar with Main Street’s unique This Monkey’s Gone to Heaven knows this is the ultimate shop for the truly curious curio-hunter. Now the store is organizing a truly unique holiday market event for those who have some eclectic people on their gift list.
Taking place December 16 and 17 at Betamax Studios, the aptly named Weirdos Holiday Market will feature all sorts of unconventional vendors and their array of wares from lighthearted to dark.
Some vendor highlights include:
- Alt Beauty Hair Adornments, edgy hand-crafted accessories with a goth twist
- Dirt Spindle, usable but unusual pottery pieces that have been fused into the shapes of human mouths, nipples, feet and hands
- Mush Appreciated, beautiful, educational and strange jewelry with mushrooms as the main focus
- hand-made piñatas of unusual items, such as unicorns and cacti, by local piñata-maker Meaghan Kennedy of Your Piñata
- photography, sculpture, jewellery and prints that ponder the cycles of life, death and rebirth by Amanda Bullick of Brutally Beautiful
- highly sought-after bleak, cynical and hilarious prints and t-shirts from one of Vancouver’s most famous weirdos, Jaik Puppyteeth
And of course, shoppers can expect to find items right from This Monkey’s Gone to Heaven, like rare alternative press books, cards, animal and insect art, and much, much more.
It wouldn’t be a true seasonal marketplace without snacks and drinks, and Weirdos Holiday Market will have eats like tamales from an underground pop-up eatery, a bar, and hot chocolate. There’s also going to be a tarot card reader on site.
When: December 16 – 17 from 11am – 7pm
Where: Betamax Studios – 2244 East Hastings Street, Vancouver
Cost: $2 at the door