Fast-food firms dominate the list of the top 10 Canadian franchises, but Re/Max real estate and a cleaning company also broke into the annual ranking by BeTheBoss.
The listing is based on the number of franchise units (or outlets). The only other stipulation is that the companies must have franchises currently operating in Canada. The listing counts only franchise units in Canada and is irrespective of the number of units a franchise system may have internationally.
Although franchises originating from all corners of the globe were welcomed, the list features franchisors predominantly from North America, heavily influenced by the U.S., according to BeTheBoss, a web-based franchise consulting and marketing company.
At first glace perhaps there are no surprises that occupying the higher rankings of the list are the most recognizable brands see every day.
The entire top 100 lists includes firms in 18 different industries, a true representation of how the franchise market in Canada looks today, according to BeTheBoss.
The top 10, in order of ranking, are:
- Tim Hortons, with 3,500 outlets
- Subway, with 3,032 outlets
- McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada, with 1,400 outlets
- Jan-Pro Canada, a cleaning franchise with 1,281 franchise units
- A&W Food Services Canada, with 803 outlets
- Re/Max real estate, with 785 franchise offices
- Pizza Pizza, with 724 outlets
- KFC, the chicken chain, with 650 outlets
- Dairy Queen Canada, which has 602 restaurants
- Country Style Foods, with 500 outlets in Canada.