Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
December 9-15, 2017
- Archival photos are always awesome.
2. There was finally some good news for renters in B.C.
3. No Fun Radio is actually so much fun!
6. This Instagram account honours Vancouver’s quaint little homes.
7. Vancouver got a new piece of public art that asks “Should I be worried?”
8. The Geminid meteor shower lit up our skies this week.
9. Some familiar voices landed big new gigs at CBC Radio One in Vancouver.
10. The woman who jumped from a B.C. ferry met the people who saved her.
11. Here are five places where you can get heavenly hot chocolate in Vancouver.
12. Vancouver’s Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden has a great backstory.
13. We sure do know how to turnout a stellar sunrise around here.
14. #ThankYouJake is a viral movement to honour the young man who stood up for a young Muslim woman who was being assaulted on a SkyTrain.
15. The weed biz gets its own Vancouver magazine.
16. Hillary Clinton came to Vancouver and thousands of people definitely thought it was awesome.
17. We found some vegan beauty products that you can actually eat.
18. Vancouver pet shops will no longer be able to sell puppies, kittens, or rabbits.
19. A city street will soon be named after Valiant, a Vancouver Police dog killed by a suspect in 1967.
20. Kate Winslet’s been in town, and she’s reunited with her beloved Honey’s Doughnuts.
21. The Audain Art Museum has a new Emily Carr painting.
22. Vancouver’s got a new upcycled/eco-conscious holiday market this weekend.
23. This lost and found dog story from Northern B.C. was a lot like the plot of a feel-good Christmas movie, complete with a hero named “St. Nick.”
24. There are plenty of ways to feast restaurant-style for Christmas in Vancouver.
25. A rare bird was spotted in Vancouver this week.
26. And this injured owl was rescued in downtown this week after being struck by a car.
27. This Salt Spring Island-inspired animation is in the running for an Oscar nomination.
28. You can tour neighbouring Burnaby’s Christmas light displays while riding on a vintage transit bus.
29-30. A couple of intriguing restaurant transformations to note: Kitsilano’s Displace Hashery is now The Blenheim under the care of Bauhaus’ Uwe Boll, and Holt Renfrew is turning their Vancouver in-store café into a Colette Grand Café for a little France via Toronto.
31. Plus we get a new “underground” watering hole, with some Spanish flair.
32. TransLink is inching us ever-so-closer to maybe, just maybe, offering late night weekend SkyTrain service.
33. The Vancouver Aquarium’s Marine Mammal Rescue Centre has had an “epic” rescue season this year. Amazing work!
34. One more festive event for your calendar: Bloedel Conservatory has become a winter wonderland.
35. Vancouver has one of the best spots for an #elevatorselfie. Yes, that’s a thing!
36. Our housing crisis is no laughing matter, but this sweet Craigslist posting for a Vancouver Special is a real treat.
37. Meanwhile, this week in Surrey a pup stolen in late September was reunited with his owner.
38. Some Vancouver schools are embracing Hanukkah at this festive time of year.
39. Hanukkah, you say? We learned all about it on this week’s episode of the Vancouver Is Awesome podcast. (Please listen and subscribe!)
40. Cheers to Vancouver’s Strange Fellows and their Belgian beers!