Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
December 16-22, 2017
1. We’ve got lots of places for free (or cheap) ice skating in Metro Vancouver. Lace up!
2. This photo exhibit, called Relationships Matter, showcases a collection of photographs taken by youth who have ‘aged out’ of care in the Greater Vancouver area.
3. We’ve got a list of 10 holiday gifts that also give back.
4. Hate holiday films? This event is for you!
5. Vancouver artist Vanessa Lam won the grand prize at the Bombay Sapphire Artisan Series competition during SCOPE Miami Beach.
6. While glitter is NOT awesome for our wildlife, eco-friendly holiday decorating and wrapping tips are.
7. Episode 4 of our Vancouver Is Awesome podcast features an in-depth interview with trailblazing oceans advocate and chef Ned Bell.
9. On December 23, Vancouver’s music + comedy communities will come together to collect warm clothes and blankets for the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre.
10. This guy invested his entire student loan into Bitcoin, and it’s paying off.
11. More than 200 people volunteered at English Bay last Saturday morning to make sure their beach doesn’t become a dump.
12. Get to know the history behind the PNE and Playland.
13. What are you doing New Year’s Eve? We’ve got a roundup of 34 Vancouver restaurants and bars celebrating.
14. Did you know that a display at a famous NY museum inspired one of our local landmarks?
16. And that snow? It sure made for some beautiful images.
17. A few ideas of what to warm your belly with on a snowy Vancouver day.
19. Chris Brandt, the executive director of Music Heals, shares his stories about the power of music and music therapy.
20. How does a Christmas bird count event sound?
21. One Canadian grocer has admitted to price-fixing, but the awesome part is you can register to get a $25 gift card to make up for it.
22. Coffee enthusiasts are obsessing over this fancy coffee bean grinder.
25. You heard it here on V.I.A. first: There’s going to be an all-unicorn stuff pop-up shop this weekend!
26. Speaking of shopping, we’ve got 8 of the best places to go get yourself some new winter boots.
27. Vancouver’s first Chinese Lantern Festival is LIT.
28. An Indigenous VR project made its last stop in Vancouver this week.
29. Fans of TV’s “Arrow” raised money to dedicate a bench in Stanley Park to the show’s lead romantic couple, aka “Olicity.”
31. B.C. Indigenous Music Initiative is giving out $310,500 in grants.
32. You can indeed take on a two-pounder burger challenge in Vancouver.
33. Volunteer nightlife safety team seeks funding to help combat sexual harassment.
34. In a Bachelor Canada finale stunner, one contestant walks away and declares her love for…North Vancouver.
35. The Growler fills us in on why Fuggles and Warlock’s boysenberry sour beer is a real palate pleaser.
36. Artists are painting tiny houses to protest Kinder Morgan pipeline.
37. Are you 18 to 35 and Canadian? You can legally work and travel abroad in over 30 countries.
38. This “fully-immersive” Gotham City New Year’s Eve party sounds pretty damn awesome.
39. There’s a local family behind one of Oprah’s “Favorite Things” this Christmas.
40. Vancouver’s public art is awesome. (Well, mostly.)
41. He was in a car crash, now he wants to find the kind strangers who helped him out at the scene.
42. There’s one more car crash story this week–a GoFundMe campaign has been launched to help out someone seriously injured in a deadly crash on the Burrard Bridge this week.