Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
April 7-13, 2018
1. On this week’s Vancouver Is Awesome Podcast, we found out if the East Van Baseball League is pants optional, and a whole lot more. Subscribe!
2. Jake Virtanen, Giants were among the donors pitching in to raise millions for Humboldt Broncos’ families.
4. These 19 Vancouver restaurants are among Canada’s 100 best.
5. You’ll find lots of free food at both Vancouver Vaisakhi Day parades.
6. The Byway Babes are canoeing across Canada for a good cause.
7. First person: My name is Margaux, and I’m autistic.
8. Vancouver firefighter takes the heat in a TV cooking competition.
9. This Week in History: City council slams oversized houses.
10. Escobar: High octane bar-restaurant opening soon on Fraser Street.
11. Vancouver’s inaugural Sacred Sexual Music Festival is coming.
12. TransLink moves forward with double-decker buses.
13. 6 of the best 50 cocktail bars in Canada are in Vancouver.
14. Here’s how Bike to Work Week solved its identity crisis.
15. Bon Iver is coming to Deer Lake Park in May.
16. This new Vancouver-produced documentary will be the next ‘Helvetica’
17. Comedian Jim Gaffigan tweets Vancouver rain troll poll.
18. Vancouver man launches the Craigslist of indie film jobs.
19. Distillers show their spirits at pairing dinner ahead of BC Distilled.
21. This is the weirdest all-night bike fixing event you’ve never heard of.
22. The Honda Celebration of Light announced the three countries taking part in the 2018 fireworks competition.
23. We’ve got your list of 5 new food trucks to find in Vancouver.
24. The Victor: New restaurant surfs chic turf with modern steak and sushi.
25. The VPL geared up for TED2018 with their “age of amazement” book picks.
26. Crafted Vancouver: New month-long craft fest launches in May.
27. The Indigenous B.C. artist who does the Star Wars stuff just designed an enchanting silver coin.
28. Slow’s 10-night stand at the Penthouse was one for the ages.
29. The VPD is giving away FREE steering wheel locks to anybody who needs one.
30. Izakaya Gon’s: New Japanese restaurant opening on Denman.
31. BC Liquor Stores raise nearly $300k for booze-free grad parties.
32. This is the story of King Gambrinus, the original “King of Beers.”
33. VIDEO: A rare look at a raft of sea lions swimming, just off the Sea to Sky.
35. Vancouver’s newest Tractor Foods a testing ground for the evolution of the concept.
36. BIL is the poor man’s TED and their logo is excellent.
37. Fridays on Front: Night market with booze returns to New West this summer.
38. 18 essential Vancouver food trucks and carts.
39. This “Great British Tea Party” is perfect for Vancouverites with Royal fever.
40. Coffee chain partners with cannabis company to open dispensaries.
41. Shipyards Night Market returns to north shore with food trucks and beer garden this summer.
42. Province dedicates $2M to help restore caribou habitat.
43. A pop-up rollerskating disco party is happening this Saturday.
44. VIDEO: “Taco Nazi” is the funniest story you’ll ever hear about nazis and tacos.