A 12-year search has ended for British Columbia’s Integrated Homicide Investigation Team with the capture and extradition of a man wanted for a January 2006 slaying in Burnaby.
The homicide team says in a news release that Jui-Kai Weng, formerly known as Kenny Weng, was arrested in March in South Korea and was returned to Canada Friday.
Weng is due to make his first appearance in provincial court on Tuesday.
He was charged with second-degree murder and attempted murder after two men were gunned down in a Burnaby parking lot on Jan. 22, 2006, killing 19-year-old Shaoxin Zhang and injuring the second man.
Police say they quickly identified a suspect following the attack but learned he had already fled to Taiwan.
Huan Sheng Tang was charged and convicted of obstruction of justice in 2008 for his involvement in the man’s escape and an Interpol notice was issued for Weng’s capture.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says it worked closely with the RCMP, Interpol, the BC Prosecution Service and others to arrange Weng’s return to stand trial in B.C.
“IHIT is grateful for the assistance provided by all its domestic partners as well as its partnership with law enforcement officials of South Korea,” Cpl. Frank Jang says in the release.