The UBC Apple Festival returns to Vancouver for its 27th year of autumnal fun.
The annual event takes place on Saturday, October 13th and Sunday, October 14th, and includes an array of delicious eats. Of course, there will be many different kinds of apples to sample, and they will even offer some extremely rare and unusual varieties.
In fact, the institution expects to receive and sell over 34,000 pounds of apples (63 varieties of heritage, new and “tried and true” apples), as well as over 70 varieties of apple trees.
With that being said, apples aren’t the only delectable offerings at the festival. In fact, festival-goers may enjoy warm apple pie and hot coffee. Alternatively, they can also sample chocolate, pizza, cookies, popcorn and much more.
Admission also includes the beautiful Botanical Garden, and therefore guests may enjoy a walk in nature, as well.
Guests may also check out the BC Fruit Testers Association display, which holds an impressive 200 varietals of the popular fruit.
Their display includes:
- Demonstrations of grafting and cider-pressing
- Apple ID – try to stump the experts with apple varieties from your garden (hint: bring along six apples from your unidentified tree)
- Master Gardeners will be available to discuss apple and fruit tree-related diseases and pest management for those seeking problem-solving advice
- Learn all about bees and pollination
View this post on Instagram
UBC Apple Festival by @ubcgarden 🍎🍏SO many apples were sold out on the first day but there were still many left. People were SO friendly & the event was VERY organized 💯The weather was beautiful too! I got organic Mutsu 🇯🇵 & organic Empire 🇺🇸. #ubcapplefest #ubcbotanicalgarden #ubc #apple #organic #organicapples #vegan #vegansofig #veganliving #veganlife #veganlifestyle #vegansofvancouver #vegansofcanada #vancity #vancitybuzz #ビーガン #りんご #有機野菜 #オーガニック #バンクーバー #カナダ
UBC Apple Festival
Friends of the Garden Apple Tasting Tent
Of course, one of the most popular attractions at the festival is the tasting tent. Guests will have the chance to sample a huge variety of new and heritage BC-grown apples for $5.
- up to 60 varieties of new and heritage apples grown in British Columbia
- Friends of the Garden’s Apple Booklet, available for purchase at the event, lists the history, propagation needs and features of more than 100 varieties of apples
- Tasting sessions from 11:00 am to 3:30 pm, Saturday and Sunday
- Tickets $5, available outside the tasting tent
When: Saturday, October 13th and Sunday, October 14th
Time: 11 am – 4 pm
Where: the UBC Botanical Garden which is located at 6804 SW Marine Drive
Admission: $5 (cash only) for adults; children 12 and under free.
No pets are allowed in the Garden (service animals excepted). Please leave them at home.
Find out more information here.