B.C. girl hospitalized after eating cannabis-infused gummy bears

Times Colonist

0
378

A young Comox Valley girl has been hospitalized after eating cannabis-infused gummy bears.

The child’s parents took her to a local hospital after she became ill and showed signs of medical distress.

gummy bears
Gummy Bears / Shutterstock

Comox Valley RCMP launched an investigation and discovered the child was in the back seat of a car, found discarded candies and ate an unknown number of them.

She was airlifted to another hospital to receive further medical treatment and is expected to make a full recovery, said RCMP Const. Monika Terragni.

The parents acted quickly in seeking medical treatment for their child and are co-operating with investigators, police said.

“This is a very unfortunate situation that brings to light the dangers of cannabis-infused edibles — specifically those that resemble candy. These are products that need to be treated with the same care and control that we treat our prescription drugs with,” said Terragni.

Police warned that cannabis is a drug that can be toxic to children, and advised anyone who suspects a child has accidentally ingested any drug to call 911 immediately.