Burnaby is finally number 1 – Burnaby’s flag that is.
Friday afternoon (today), CBC municipal affairs reporter Justin McElroy announced that Burnaby’s flag, featuring a majestic eagle bordered by the Fraser River and Burrard Inlet, is the best municipal flag in all of British Columbia.
1: BURNABY (7.89 points)
– Really bold, but it all comes together
– Little tips of white at the end of the feathers are *chef’s kiss*
– Discs are Burnaby and Deer Lake, the water above and below are the Inlet and the Fraser, so many good details!
– I can’t believe I did this pic.twitter.com/poNLiqW0Ma
— Justin McElroy (@j_mcelroy) November 30, 2018
This announcement comes six days after McElroy set out on Twitter to rank all 130 flags representing communities in the province. The flags were ranked out of a possible score of 10 based on the following criteria: clarity (up to four points); esthetic/gusto (up to three points); and symbolism/context (up to three points), according to McElroy.
A panel of 10 people (including McElroy) helped grade all 130 flags.
Burnaby’s flag finished in first place with 7.89 points.
Here’s what McElroy had to say about the city’s flag:
- Really bold, but it all comes together
- Little tips of white at the end of the feathers are *chef’s kiss*
- Discs are Burnaby and Deer Lake, the water above and below are the Inlet and the Fraser, so many good details!
You can read the entire thread ranking all 130 flags in the province here.