Which Vancouver chef dishes up the best bowl of chowder? The good eats will be served by the ladle-ful this February for the Vancouver Aquarium’s annual Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown.
Taking place at the Aquarium – our Ocean Wise HQ here in Vancouver – on the evening of Feb. 21, this adults-only evening of food, drink, and fun is all about celebrating seafood chowder.
Chefs from across the city and province come up with special chowders, served up with craft beer, and guests get to sip, spoon, and savour, and select their favourite soup.
For 2019, the Vancouver Chowder Chowdown chefs are:
- Chef Ned Bell – Ocean Wise
- Sous Chef Stacy Johnston – Ocean Wise
- Chef Leah Patitucci – Culinary Team BC
- Chef Anthony Marzo – Arc at Fairmont Waterfront
- Chef Matt Marshall – Coquille
- Chef Welbert Choi – Forage
- Chef Chris Andraza – Fanny Bay Oyster Bar
- Chef Daisuke Fukasaku – Fukasaku
- Chef Hiro Hatada – Hapa Izakaya
- Chef Jason Labahn – Honey Salt
- Chef Curtis Demyon – Langara Fishing Lodge
- Chef Will Lew – Notch8 at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
- Chef Josh Gonneau – Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts
- Chef Chris Whittaker – Quaaout Lodge
- Chef Clement Chan – Torafuku
The Chowdown has been previously held in the fall, with the last one – the 10th anniversary – taking place in 2017. There, 13 notable chefs from Ocean Wise seafood restaurant partners took part in a special All-Star Edition. The champ was Chef Julian Bond of Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts, the People’s Choice went to Chef Paul Cecconi of Brodo Kitchen, and the Best Beer Pairing was Chef Yosuke Okubo of Hapa Izakaya.
Your ticket includes chowder, and beer, wine, and spirits sampling. All proceeds directly support the Ocean Wise sustainable seafood program.
Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown
When: Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019 from 7-10 p.m.
Where: Vancouver Aquarium – 845 Avison Way
Cost: $75; tickets available online