Four talented young photographers from Metro Vancouver have made the longlist of artists up for a prestigious national award.
The 2019 New Generation Photography Award is in its second year, and is spearheaded by the Canadian Photography Institute of the National Gallery of Canada and Scotiabank. The award is for emerging photographers under 30.
Of the 23 finalists, Hannah Campbell, Anna Kasko, and Graeme Wahn of Vancouver, along with Matthew Wong of Surrey, represent the B.C. residents on the list. All four received their BFAs at Emily Carr University of Art + Design; Campbell and Wahn are pursuing their MFAs from Simon Fraser University.
The longlist of artists in contention were selected by the New Generation Photography Award Nomination Committee, which is a panel of 12 photography experts from arts universities and colleges across Canada.
“The New Generation Photography Award provides a marvelous opportunity to review some of the best and most exciting imagery being produced by an up-and-coming generation of artists,” says Andrea Kunard, the Associate Curator of the Canadian Photography Institute in a media release. “The prize celebrates their artistic vision, and most importantly offers support and encouragement for both nominees and winners.”
Three winners will be selected from the New Generation Photography Award longlist by an esteemed jury consisting of Canadian and international photography experts, artists, and leaders in the community. The winners, who will be announced April 3, 2019, will receive a cash prize of $10,000 each. Additionally, they will be featured in a group exhibition at the Gladstone Hotel during the Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival in Toronto, May 1 – June 9, 2019 and at the Canadian Photography Institute PhotoLab located at the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa on Sept. 27, 2019.
Here are the 23 photographers vying for the 2019 New Generation Photography Award.
- Rebecca Bair, Ottawa, Ontario
- Alice Boutten, Rimouski, Quebec
- Matthew Brooks, Montreal, Quebec
- Hannah Campbell, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Sam Cotter, Toronto, Ontario
- Hannah Doucet, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Seamus Gallagher, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Andrew Godsalve, Hinton, Alberta
- Zackery Hobler, Toronto, Ontario
- Zainab Hussain, Ottawa, Ontario
- Katherine Nakaska, Toronto, Ontario
- Anna Kasko, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Thibaut Ketterer, Montreal, Quebec
- Luther Konadu, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Paulina MacNeil, Boston, Massachusetts
- Ethan Murphy, Toronto, Ontario
- Zinnia Naqvi, Montreal, Quebec
- Wynne Neilly, Hamilton, Ontario
- Curtiss Randolph, Toronto, Ontario
- Nicholas Aiden Ryan, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Melissa Tremblett, Cornerbrook, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Graeme Wahn, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Matthew Wong, Surrey, British Columbia