Health Canada warns consumers that a brand of reusable water bottles that were sold on Amazon.ca poses a 'chemical hazard.'
A safety notification issued on Friday (March 17) states that Bindle Bottle is recalling bottles that were sold in four sizes (32oz, 24oz, 20oz, and 13oz) due to the presence of lead.
The company is also recalling the 24oz bottle that is part of the Puppy Pack. The items were sold online on Amazon.ca.
"The recalled product may contain excess amounts of lead on the small soldering dot in the bottom storage compartment, posing an exposure risk to lead if unpackaged food is placed in the dry storage compartment," according to the notification.
Health Canada notes that "lead is highly toxic, especially to children" and exposure to it can lead to a range of serious health effects including anemia, vomiting, and diarrhea as well as issues with the heart and immune system. In extreme cases, there have been deaths.
Between June 2019 and January 2023, 400 of the affected products were sold in Canada.
As of March 7, the company has received no reports of incidents or injuries in Canada.
What you should do
You should immediately stop using the recalled Bindle Bottles and contact Bindle Bottle LLC to receive a free repair kit.
For more information, consumers can contact Bindle Bottle LLC by email at email@example.com or online.
This recall is also posted on the OECD Global Portal on Product Recalls website. You can visit this site for more information on other international consumer product recalls.