With Dia de Muertos (Day of the Dead) coming up soon, there's going to be plenty of Latin celebrations in Vancouver.
Latincouver's Latin American Heritage Month Festival started on Oct. 14 and leads up to the grand Dia de Meurtos finale on Nov. 2.
Next weekend, just a few days before the official celebration, there will be a free Dia de los Meurtos themed Latin market with Mexican, Venezuelan, Colombian, and Peruvian cuisine, a beer garden, and live Latin music.
There will also be free workshops teaching various Latin dances and La Catrina tradition.
The free events will take place Oct. 29-30 at Granville Island. In the evening, a video mapping projection will explain the Day of the Dead, and visitors can add names of their dearly departed.
Day of the Dead Market and Workshops Schedule
Dia de Muertos Latin Market - Oct. 29-30; 1500 Old Bridge Street, Granville Island
- How to Dance Capoeira: Oct. 29, 1 p.m.
- How to Dance Afro Zumba & Macuele: Oct. 29, 2:30 p.m.
- How to Become La Catrina: Oct. 30, 1 p.m.
- How to Dance Salsa: Oct. 30, 2:30 p.m.
Children Workshops (Oct. 29-30):
- How to Decorate Calaveritas de Azucar (decorative skulls made with sugar): 1:30-2:30 p.m.
- How to Make Papel Picado (tissue paper crafts): 3-4 p.m.
- Puppet Show ‘Dia de Los Muertos’: 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- Ice Painting Skulls (painting with dry ice): 6-7 p.m.
Day of the Dead video mapping projection: 6:30-10 p.m.