We've released Episode 6 of the Vancouver Is Awesome podcast!
This week’s guest is Travis Lupick, local author of the new book Fighting for Space: How a Group of Drug Users Transformed One City's Struggle With Addiction. Travis is a reporter for the Georgia Straight and has been filing stories on the opioid crisis in Vancouver for years, doing an even deeper dive for this title. He lives in the Downtown Eastside and his book focuses mainly on the previous drug crisis here and how a group called VANDU was formed by users, for users.
Show notes for Episode 6:
- Our piece about The Last Straw, the company responsible for the reusable glass straws being used in some Vancouver bars and restaurants.Part 2:
- Buy Fighting For Space by Travis Lupick, published by Arsenal Pulp Press.
- Learn about the Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users.
- Read a quick history of the Portland Hotel Society.
- One-of-a-kind bar made of 1,000,000 pieces of Lego.
Produced and hosted by Lindsay William-Ross and Bob Kronbauer.
Additional support from Adam Nanji.
Our Associate Producer is Albert Van Santvoort.
We record in the studio at Glacier Media, 303 West 5th Avenue in Mt Pleasant.
Theme song is Vancouver BC by The Smugglers ©1990, available on iTunes.
Come back each week for a new episode!