Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
Things to Know
1. Science World was voted the most iconic building in Vancouver by the people.
2. You can drink beer and wine on BC Ferries sailings out of Vancouver this fall.
3. A 77-year-old round-the-world sailor reached her B.C. finish line after 338 days at sea.
4. There's a new Vancouver travel book out that's full of ‘quirky and weird’ stories and places you must see.
5. This Downtown Eastside charity helps up to a thousand people give unemployment the boot every year — but most people don't know it exists.
6. Vancouver’s beloved Benny’s Market has celebrated 100 years in Strathcona.
7. A B.C. man bit into an oyster packing 48 pearls.
8. This B.C. crisis centre has marked 50 years of listening to people in their most critical time of need.
9. A Northern Irish woman needs your help to find ‘the man with the maple leaf’ from Vancouver. Do you know who he is?
10. Politician Joey Shithead is headlining a punk show to get young people to vote.
Things to Eat & Drink
11. Meat eaters, this month’s epic Barbarian’s Feast is for you...
12. Beyond meat: How a Vancouver restaurant named for an animal honours every ingredient, every eater.
13. Drinking this new wine will help protect B.C. bears.
Things to Do
14. Can you cancan with the best of them? Auditions for the highly-anticipated Moulin Rouge cabaret, Féerie, take place in Vancouver this month.
15. You can buy a tree for $10 to help grow Vancouver’s urban forest.
16. A huge seven-day long B.C. beer festival featuring over 70 breweries kicks off this weekend.
17. This epic “hike rave” takes place this Friday the 13th in Vancouver.
18. There’s a female-fronted live score of “This is Spinal Tap” happening this month in Vancouver.
19. Prost! Here are 12 Oktoberfest events in Metro Vancouver this fall.
21. Make your child's or your own dream come true. You can fly round-trip Vancouver to Disney World for $354 CAD.
22. Deal alert: You can fly round-trip Vancouver to Tokyo for only $604 CAD.
23. Viva Las Vegas: Fly direct, return Vancouver to Las Vegas with 3 nights in a hotel for $377 CAD.
Things to See
24. Goodbye summer: Photographers have shared some stunning Vancouver sunset snaps.
25. This Friday the 13th coincides with a spectacular Full Harvest Moon.