For several years, the Chowder Chowdown has been one of Vancouver's favourite food events. However, for 2021, the event has shifted its scope and is instead taking place for the first time ever as a month-long celebration coast to coast.
Hosted by the non-profit Ocean Wise Seafood program, the annual gathering - which finds ticketed guests sipping samples of chowders created by top Vancouver chefs with the aim of finding the chowder champion - is always a big draw for attendees, as well as a major source of funds for the organization.
The COVID pandemic meant Ocean Wise Seafood needed to re-think their annual fundraising events in Vancouver and Toronto which previously brought in more than $70,000 annually for the not-for-profit program, explains Ocean Wise.
This year, for the entire month of February, chowder fans can order up chowders from several Metro Vancouver restaurants and vendors for a variety of experiences to be enjoyed either at home or while dining in. Partial proceeds of each chowder sold during the National Chowder Chowdown Festival will be donated to the not-for-profit Ocean Wise Seafood program.
The Vancouver-area offerings include a range of global influences and kinds of chowder experiences. For example, you can order up a Manila clam and sweet corn chowder from Fanny Bay Oyster Bar in Vancouver, or spice things up with a trip south of the border in Richmond with Little Mexico Cantina's Sopa De Donadores. Visit Hart House in Burnaby to check out their Smoked Tomato Seafood Chowder, or head into your home kitchen with a DIY Pacific Chowder Kit from Intercity Packers. Don't feel like cooking? Organic Ocean has teamed up with Ocean Mama to create a Sensual Smoked Sablefish Chowder you can order for home delivery to heat up when the craving strikes.
Here's who is taking part in the National Chowder Chowdown Festival in Metro Vancouver:
- 1931 Gallery Bistro - Vancouver
- Big Feast Bistro - Maple Ridge
- Edge Catering - Vancouver
- Fanny Bay Oyster Bar - Vancouver
- Intercity Packers - Vancouver
- Hart House Restaurant - Burnaby
- Holts Café Vancouver - Vancouver
- Little Mexico Cantina - Richmond
- Organic Ocean - Vancouver
- Pajo’s Fish and Chips - Richmond and Port Moody
- Showcase Restaurant at the Vancouver Marriott Downtown - Vancouver
- ShuckShuck - Vancouver, BC
- Stanley Park Brewing Restaurant and Brewpub - Vancouver
- The Vancouver Fish Co. - Vancouver
When: Feb. 1-28, 2021
Where: Participating Metro Vancouver restaurants & vendors