Poutine cravings can come along at any time, but Vancouverites may want to direct their attention to nine delicious days this spring when eating poutine can actually do some good in the community.
Poutine With Purpose is a popular week-long fundraising event that began in Calgary several years ago, and since expanded to Victoria, Hamilton, and Vancouver.
Taking place from April 23 to May 1, 2021, Poutine With Purpose is when participating restaurants highlight their poutine offerings, and for every poutine sold, a healthy meal is provided to a youth in need through charity partner Mealshare.
Mealshare is the “buy a meal, give a meal” program that teams up with restaurants in multiple cities; one or more dishes on a restaurant menu are the designated Mealshare items, meaning for every one of those dishes sold, a donation is made through Mealshare to get a meal to a youth in need through local organizations.
The event has sold over 35,000 poutines in support of Mealshare since 2013.
In the fall of 2019, when Poutine With Purpose made its Vancouver debut, the city had over a dozen participating restaurants.
Here are the Metro Vancouver participating in Poutine With Purpose 2021, and, if made available, what their poutine creations are for the fest:
- Brix and Mortar: Braised Gelderman Farm pork shoulder in Japanese yellow curry with cheese curds, carrots, green peas & green onion.
- Colony Bars (Kitsilano, Main Street, Northwoods and Granville): Colony Poutine - Hand Chipped Kennebec Fries, Cheese Curds, Beef Gravy
- Patina Brewing
- Park Pub
- Tap and Barrel (Convention Centre, Olympic Village, Shipyards): Short Rib Poutine; braised short rib, waffle fries, cheese curds, rich gravy, fried rosemary.
- Trading Post Brewery (Fort Langley): Mexican Style Poutine; cheddar cheese, salsa verde, cilantro lime cream, seasoned ground beef, fresh tomato, crispy jalapenos
- Trading Post (Abbotsford): Shaggy’s Poutine; fried chicken, Nashville hot sauce, pickled banana peppers, birchwood cheese curds, poutine gravy & maple aioli
- Wok Box (Surrey, Abbostford and New West): Tokyo Beef Poutine; take your taste buds to the busy streets of Tokyo with this sweet teriyaki beef served over golden fries and drizzled with lime aioli.
Poutine With Purpose
When: April 23-May 1, 2021
Where: Participating Vancouver restaurants
This article originally appeared March 25, 2021 and has since been updated with new information