Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

'Hells Angels are coming after me,' says man accused in Vancouver machete attack

A not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder defence is expected at trial for Leslie Dale Chudek.
A psychiatric report for Leslie Dale Chudek is due Jan. 5, 2023.

The man accused in a June machete attack at a Vancouver gas station claims he was being threatened by the Hells Angels, a B.C. Supreme Court judge heard Nov. 15

Leslie Dale Chudek faces charges of aggravated assault, assault, uttering threats and dangerous vehicle operation in connection with the incident at 3502 East Hastings St.

He appeared by video before Justice Michael Tammen to fix dates for future appearances. However, he had no legal representation.

Chudek told the judge he wants defence lawyer Christopher Funt to get RCMP records from Powell River. He suggested those records could confirm his “concern the Hells Angels are coming after me.”

Chudek went on to claim he had walked in on a drug deal between the Hells Angels and Vancouver Police Department (VPD) officers. He alleged department corruption.

He then suggested he was being run out of the province toward Saskatchewan.

“I should be able to bring that up to support my cause,” Chudek said.

“You need to be in touch with your lawyer,” Tammen told Chudek.

Crown prosecutor Daniel Milligan told the judge a psychiatric examination order was made Oct. 28.

Milligan said depending on that report, a not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder defence could be made at trial. The report is due Jan. 5.

In June, Vancouver provincial court heard doctors determined Chudek is mentally fit to stand trial. That trial is scheduled for Feb. 28-March 2, 2023.

The incident happened around 6:30 a.m. on June 1. VPD said the incident started when a man used his car to ram a pedestrian on the gas station's property.

"He then got out of the car, and allegedly chased several people while holding a knife and a machete," the VPD said in a news release. "He reportedly punched a passerby, then turned his attention back to the pedestrian, stabbing him on the neck and back."

Much of the incident was caught on video.

Police arrived as the suspect allegedly tried to steal a motorbike parked near the gas station's exit.

The stabbing victim was taken to hospital for non-life-threatening injuries. The man who was punched was treated on scene. The accused made his first court appearance the next day.

Chudek remains in custody by consent.

[email protected]