The Seven Seas Restaurant, with its distinctive neon signage, was a popular destination for North Shore residents and visitors alike.
Moored at the foot of Lonsdale for more than 40 years, the former Ferry No. 5 was converted into a restaurant by Diamond Almas in 1959.
Built in 1941, the ship was the last of five ferries used to carry passengers and vehicles across Burrard Inlet. Ferry No. 5 operated until discontinuation of the ferry service in 1958. The restaurant shut in January 2001 and in 2002 the old No. 5 Ferry was removed and broken apart for scrap.
For more information about the history of the North Shore and to learn about the new Museum of North Vancouver opening in 2021, visit nvma.ca and sign up for the museum’s e-newsletter at bit.ly/35MWr83.
Currently, the Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Rd. in Lynn Valley is open by appointment only. Contact: email@example.com
Read more from the North Shore News