Here's a sweet news piece from 1997 about the closing day of the last of the Aristocratic restaurants in Vancouver. Next time you visit the giant Chapters store at Granville and Broadway take note of the neon sign that greets you as you enter. It's the one in this clip, and it's a nod to what used to be on that corner.
This clip is one of many gems that V.I.A. reader Rob Richardson has dug up from his collection. The source is a vast archive of VHS tapes that he recorded himself or has managed to collect from thrift stores, flea markets, storage lockers, yard sales, contacts with people in other parts of Canada and the U.S., and anywhere he can manage. He's driven over to Vancouver Island and as far down as Olympia, Washington to rescue analogue goodness before they've wound up in the scrapper and we're happy to bring you a Vancouver-centric clip each week.
Here are some others we've shared:
- "Get a head start" with The Province Newspaper - Early 1980's
- Malacca Rattan commercial - 1987
- Vancouver Television (VTV) promo - 1998
- Blackcomb Mountain launches - 1982
- The Captain, Aye Aye and Good Buy - 1994
- Royal City Antiques - 1985
- BC Place monster truck rally - 1985
- A British Columbia Minute from CBC - 1986