This photograph from 1918 shows the railway camp cars of the Capilano Timber Company’s “Camp A.” Since logging camps were located in remote areas, there were no hotels or other buildings to house these workers. Railroad cars were used for bunkhouses (bunk cars), camp kitchens, mess halls, and more.
The Capilano Timber Company built and operated their own railway line on the North Shore to transport the “timber to tidewater” safely and efficiently.
Pictured are Capt. and Mrs. Marsh and Goodwin Johnson (centre), manager of the Capilano Timber Co. The dining car is pictured on the left.
Visit the MONOVA website for more information about the history of the North Shore and to learn about MONOVA: Museum of North Vancouver opening in Fall 2021.
Currently, MONOVA: Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Road in Lynn Valley is open by appointment only. Contact: email@example.com
Navigate culture on the North Shore by using the North Shore Culture Compass.