When it was built in about 1895, the Templeton Block sat on one of the busiest intersections of the city at East Hastings and Carrall. It was among the first brick buildings constructed after the Gastown fire.
Over the years it attracted a wide variety of tenants. In 1910 Knowlton’s Pharmacy moved in, and stayed there until just a couple of years ago, still using its original display cases and shelving.
John Bentley is an architectural photographer who has photographed the inside and outside of thousands of buildings around Vancouver. Using images from the Vancouver Archives he offers a glimpse of the past and present on his site Vancouver Now & Then.