The Waterfront Station area we travel through has undergone dramatic changes as a transportation hub in Vancouver.
This construction progress photograph, taken by the building’s construction contractors Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co., shows the site excavation for the third CPR station was well underway in October 1912.
The station eventually opened just under two years later in the summer of 1914.
The turret of the second CPR station, with its chateau-style architecture, can be seen on the right edge of the photograph.
This second station had a short-lived existence. Its first stone was laid in April 1898. By 1914, the building was demolished and replaced by more train passenger platforms and a traffic bridge that connected to Pier D where CPR coastal steamers docked.