School is back in session and so is the late-night studying (as well as the occasional all-nighter).
Regardless of when you choose to cram for that exam or knock that project off your list, a productive space is crucial. For some, going to a nearby coffee shop is the ideal study spot, while for others it's too distracting.
This list of somewhat unconventional study spots will hopefully help you find a new go-to study haven just in time for the new school year.
Warning: this list does include cafes, but for good reasons (ahem, 24-hour cafes).
Yes, under extreme circumstances the airport can serve as a good study spot. One Vancouver student said that they used to study above the International Departures Level food court, and other airport dwellers have said to have seen students with notebooks among travellers.
Don't underestimate your local community centre. Not only is there room for studying but you can also hang around for drop-in activities afterwards.
More deserted shopping malls (steer clear of Metropolis at Metrotown, that is) make unique study locations. Studying in a quiet food court can feel more spacious and you can peruse some cool stores between note-taking.
Universities are where the learning stuff happens, which is what studying is, so why not go snag a study room or a cozy corner on campus? UBC is a great location for studying.
There's a perk to this student retreat and that is the many, many books and resources at hand. Different libraries offer different programs too, like Dungeons and Dragons 101 (and 102 for the skilled players). Vancouver Public Library's Central Branch is located in a tall building with a rooftop view of the city, in case you need a study break.
These cafes in Vancouver are open 24 hours (or at least really, really late). No fluff, just facts.
- Breka Bakery and Cafe - Any location, any day
- Duffin's Donuts - 24 hours on weekends, open from 6 a.m. to midnight on weekdays
- Lucy's Eastside Diner - Always opens at 8 a.m. but closes at 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 1 a.m. on the remaining days
- Siegel's Bagels (only the Kitsilano location) - 24 hours from Wednesday to Sunday, closes at 11 p.m. on Mondays and Tuesdays
- Pho Extreme Xe Lua - 24 hours on Thursday, always opens at 10 a.m. but closes at 5 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, at 4 a.m. Monday to Tuesday, and at midnight on Wednesday