A COVID-19 outbreak in Burnaby has grown to nearly 100 cases, according to an update sent to families on Sunday, Nov. 13.
AgeCare Harmony Court at 7197 Canada Way in Burnaby emailed families with the latest numbers, with 97 total cases and eight deaths.
Harmony Court’s independent living section has had 20 residents testing positive for COVID-19 to date. Four of these residents are currently in the hospital, says the update, which has been shared with the NOW. Three staff have also tested positive for COVID-19 to date.
Harmony’s Court’s care centre has had 50 residents testing positive for COVID-19 to date, with two of these residents currently in hospital and 24 staff members testing positive - three of these staff members are cleared to return to work, says the email.
“The team at AgeCare Harmony Court alongside Fraser Health are working tirelessly to contain this outbreak and support the safety and well-being of all residents and staff,” says the email. “We are operating under our outbreak protocols, monitoring the situation very closely, and meeting Fraser Health and Public Health daily.”
The following outbreak protocols remain in place:
- All Independent Living residents are on contact and droplet precautions. Our team will ensure that these residents are served meals in their rooms.
- All Care Centre residents are on contact and droplet isolation precautions. Our team will ensure that these residents are served meals in their rooms and continue to have all their care needs provided for.
- In the Care Centre, residents are being screened twice a day along with symptom checks. In addition, neighborhood huddles with the team are occurring twice per shift. The huddle's focus is to be proactive in identifying signs and symptoms and ensuring resident care needs are being met.
- Social visits and group recreation activities for all residents are suspended. The recreation department is looking at how we can increase virtual visits and provide for socialization for residents.
- There can be no visitation between Independent Living and the Care Centre residents, except essential and end-of-life visits.
- All common spaces are closed; this includes the dining rooms and the coffee/tea station.
- Essential appointments for Independent Living residents, such as medication assistance, can continue onsite as long as the appropriate Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) is used.
- To reduce movement in the building, staff are designated to their sections of the community, Independent Living vs. Care Centre, except for a few key leadership roles.
- Staff continue to practice physical distancing and wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in accordance with the guidance of the Provincial Health Officer and Fraser Health Authority. As an extra precaution, the staff are also wearing eye protection or a face shield to wear with their surgical (medical) mask.
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting procedures to prevent the potential spread are in place.
- All appointments that take residents outside the community are to be cancelled and rescheduled.
- Staff will continue to be screened before every shift, self-screen during and at the end of their shift. They are required to report to their supervisor if they have any symptoms
- Admissions and transfers are on hold.
The 37 outbreaks at seniors' facilities in the Fraser Health region include:
• Agassiz Seniors Community in Agassiz;
• Agecare Harmony Court Estates in Burnaby;
• Agecare Court Estates in Burnaby;
• Al Hogg Pavilion in White Rock;
• Amenida Seniors Community in Surrey;
• Baillie House long-term care home in Maple Ridge;
• Belvedere Care Centre in Coquitlam;
• Bradley Centre in Chilliwack;
• CareLife Fleetwood in Surrey;
• Chartwell Langley Gardens in Langley;
• Chilliwack Lifestyles in Chilliwack;
• Courtyard Terrace in Burnaby;
• Fellburn Care Centre long-term care facility in Burnaby;
• Finnish Manor in Burnaby;
• Fleetwood Villa Retirement Residence in Surrey;
• Fort Langley Seniors Community in Fort Langley;
• George Derby Centre in Burnaby;
• Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre 2 long-term care facility in Delta;
• Harrison Pointe retirement home in Langley;
• Harrison at Elim Village in Surrey;
• Hilton Villa Care Centre in Surrey;
• Hollyrood Manor long-term care home in Maple Ridge;
• Lakeshore Care Centre in Coquitlam;
• Langley Gardens in Langley;
• Laurel Place long-term care facility in Surrey;
• Menno Home in Abbotsford;
• Morgan Place Care Society in Surrey;
• Northcrest Care Centre in Delta;
• Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Lodge in Surrey;
• PICS Assisted Living in Surrey;
• Queen's Park Care Centre in New Westminster;
• Royal City Manor in New Westminster;
• St. Michael's Centre in Burnaby;
• Tabor Home in Abbotsford;
• The Residence at Clayton Heights in Surrey;
• The Residence in Mission; and
• White Rock Senior Village in White Rock.