Skip to content
Join our Newsletter
Join our Newsletter

Burnaby protester ‘tied’ to the ground, bagpiper plays as Trans Mountain action ramps up

A march is also set to take place at SFU
earth txm protest
A Trans Mountain protester is 'tied' to the ground to block work on the pipeline in Burnaby.

Protests against the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project have ramped up, with multiple events taking place today (Friday).

On Friday morning, the group Protect the Planet – Stop TMX said two people had “locked themselves down to the ground” at the tree-occupation site, located west of North Road and south of Highway 1 in Burnaby.

“This is a tactic also used Fairy Creek, known as a hard block,” said a news release from the group, adding that they expect more people to be arrested on Friday.

The aim is to prevent Trans Mountain workers from cutting the trees. The project will see more than 1,300 trees cut down in this area.

And in the video below, one person has been serenading protesters with the bagpipes.

A group of SFU students and faculty have pledged to march from the Burnaby Mountain campus down the hill to protest the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project.

People are invited to gather at 4:30 p.m. today (Friday) at the UniverCity Town Square to hear speakers, followed by the march at 5 p.m. that will end up at the intersection of Gaglardi Way and University Drive.

As organizer and SFU student Hanieh Shakeri explained, “We are organizing this march to bring attention to the dangers of the TMX pipeline, and especially the unsafe situation that SFU students have been placed in by the presence of the tank farm so close to our campus. We hope that SFU will show their commitment to student safety by putting pressure on the government to halt the TMX pipeline project.”

One person was arrested Thursday as police continue to clear out people occupying trees in Burnaby to protest the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project.

The demonstrator had trespassed into a fenced area on private property owned by BNSF Railway, in violation a court ordered injunction stating they could not obstruct, impede, or otherwise prevent access to Trans Mountain work sites.

“The demonstrator was given the opportunity to leave the area voluntarily, but chose not to,” said police. She was safely arrested just before 10 a.m.

“Burnaby RCMP would like to take this moment to remind those who are involved in ongoing demonstrations that police are an impartial party and are there to ensure the safety of everyone involved,” said a police news release.

Earlier in the week, a person occupying one of the trees in Burnaby was arrested. Police in tactical gear are using a lift bucket machine to reach protesters in the trees.