The current pandemic has had a tremendous impact on the healthy behaviours of people in B.C.
A study for Pacific Blue Cross (conducted by Insights West) in September 2020 found that adults across the province have encountered a change in their health habits and lifestyles this year. As shown through the following statistics, individuals surveyed have participated in certain healthy behaviours less during the pandemic:
- 42% of people are exercising less,
- 25% of people have been eating less healthy,
- 32% of people have been maintaining quality sleep less,
- 32% of people are staying connected less,
- 32% of people report a decrease in participating in fun activities,
- 36% of people report a decrease in engaging in new adventures,
- 19% of people are consuming more alcohol and cannabis, and
- 6% of people are smoking more cigarettes
Photo: Pacific Blue Cross.
As B.C.’s health benefits society, Pacific Blue Cross wants to encourage people in B.C. to turn around this trend by committing to health-based goals.
By joining the Pacific Blue Cross Health Challenge, participants can choose one of eight healthy goals to commit to — from eating right to quitting smoking. They will then be entered into a draw to potentially win $2,000 in health cash prizes (from a total prize pool of more than $10,000 in prizing).
Health cash can be used to pay for a Peloton subscription, virtual training subscriptions, healthy meal delivery services, online meditation programs, and anything else that helps you stay healthy.
To join in on the Pacific Blue Cross Health Challenge, visit pbchealthchallenge.ca.