The intersection at East First Avenue and Victoria Drive will be closed from Aug. 11 to Aug. 15 as part of FortisBC’s ongoing work to replace a gas line.
The closure will include the blocks of Victoria Drive between Graveley and East Second.
East First has been closed to traffic between Nanaimo Street and Clark Drive since July 3, although main arterials have been kept open.
Other major north-south routes such as Clark, Commercial, Nanaimo, Renfrew, Rupert and Boundary, will remain open.
Cyclists and pedestrians will still be able to cross East First at Victoria Drive, as well as use the existing detours, which include Lakewood.
Crews will be working extended hours, including possible overnight work to make sure the intersection can be re-opened Aug. 16.
FortisBC also has work planned next week on East First from Rupert to just west of Boundary Road.
It will begin Aug. 7 and last until early September.
Here’s what drivers need to know:
- Eastbound traffic will be reduced to a single lane, with no westbound closures.
- Drivers won’t be able to access the westbound Highway 1 on-ramp. Drivers can detour to the Hastings on-ramp via Boundary.
- Drivers heading westbound on East First can continue to access the westbound Highway 1 on-ramp as they would normally.
Burnaby drivers should take note of partial lane closures on Lougheed Highway starting Aug. 9. This includes:
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Delta Avenue and Madison Avenue.
- Bicycle lanes on Lougheed Highway will be closed. The westbound cyclist detour will begin at Holdom Avenue, and the detour will begin at Gilmour Avenue.
Closure updates about FortisBC’s gas line work on East First Avenue can be found HERE.