A 40-year-old Delta man has been arrested and faces several charges after he was allegedly seen stealing a parcel from a doorstep of a home last week.
The Delta police Street Crime Unit arrested the suspected thief on Dec. 5 after the parcel was stolen from a home in the 9200 block of 118th St.
“Our officers were very pleased to stop this real life holiday Grinch in his tracks,” said DPD public affairs coordinator Cris Leykauf.
Taranjot Singh Grewal is currently facing five charges stemming from the Dec. 5 incident and a related earlier incident. He is charged with three counts of theft of mail, from three addresses on 116th St., 118th St. and Carver Cres. He is also charged with theft of a pickup canopy from Nov. 16, and possession of stolen mail from that same day.
Grewal appeared in Surrey provincial court on Monday and has been remanded into police custody. He is considered a prolific property offender by police.
DPD say package theft can be an issue at this time of year and have offered these tips:
- Schedule deliveries for times you will be home
- Have packages delivered to your work
- Require all packages to be signed for
- Buddy up with a neighbor who will watch for package deliveries, or agree to have packages delivered to their house
- Install security cameras that may act as a deterrent
- Give instructions to the package delivery service – some services allow you to provide instructions on where to leave packages.