Environment Canada warns Metro Vancouverites that a strong cold front will sweep across the south coast this afternoon, accompaned by strong gusty winds.
The agency has issued a special weather statement for Saturday, May 2 for the region. It states that winds "Over Greater Victoria and the lower mainland, winds will rise to southeast 30 to 60 km/h late this morning or early this afternoon then shift to southwesterly 40 to 60 km/h gusting up to 80 late this afternoon as the front passes."
The special weather statement is in effect for:
- Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
- Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
- Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
- Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley
- Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta
Winds are expected to ease later this evening.
The forecast also calls for rain throughout the day and into Sunday.