Next Sunday, November the 29th, is going to be an exceptionally awesome day at the VIFC when THIS hits at 2PM:
Views of Vancouver from yesteryear. Share your memories and see the city as it used to be. With presentations from local film producer/historian Rick Schmidlin (Touch of Evil, Greed ), Leslie Mobbs, City Archivist and Director, Records and Archives Division, and Sue Bigelow, Digital Conservator.
PHOTO: City of Vancouver Archives
ARCHIVE SCREENINGS OF:
- The Vancouver Polo team defeat Douglas Lake 13-4 and takes the B.C. Challenge Trophy, 1928.
- Costume party at the Eric Hamber residence, 1927.
- Spencer's Toy Parade ca 1927. Santa Claus climbs the facade of Spencer's Department Store.
- World War I flying ace Albert Earl Godfrey takes off from the Royal Canadian Air Force base at Jericho Beach ca 1928.
- Air stunts and parachuting ca 1928.
- Eric Hamber tours the Governor-General to Britannia Mines aboard his yacht, Vencedor, in 1932
- Aberthau, now part of the West Point Grey Community Centre, in 1932 when it was a private home. The extensive grounds are shown in an early colour format.
- The New Zealand All Blacks play rugby at the Brockton Oval, Stanley Park ca 1934
- A newsreel of Bing Crosby's visit to Vancouver in 1948 to raise funds for the Sunset Memorial Centre (Film was found in a time capsule)
- Building the original Sunset Memorial Centre, 1949. Film was found in a time capsule.
- Things to do in Stanley Park in the 1930s and 40s
With Live Musical Accompaniment