Show me the money! Okay, fine. Canadian Business has released their annual rankings of the wealthiest individuals and families in Canada, and Vancouverites can claim nearly a tenth of the list for 2018.
You’ll undoubtedly recognize these names and businesses. Families like the Gaglardis and Aquilinis each have over $3 billion of wealth, thanks to their fingers in many of Vancouver’s pies.
The top Vancouverite on the 2018 rankings, James Pattison of the Jim Pattison Group, comes in with a cool $6.41 billion. Patterson is in the same slot as last year, but has managed to up his bucks from $5.74 billion in 2017.
Also a boost from last year is the fact that no one on the list is worth less than a billion. So, yes, the rich are getting richer, it seems.
Here are the nine richest Vancouverites and where they rank on the list of Canada’s 100 richest people.
- 10. James Pattison – Jim Pattison Group – $6.41 billion
- 21. Gaglardi Family – Northland Properties – $3.92 billion
- 27. Aquilini family – Aquilini Investment Group – $3.3 billion
- 30. Lalji Family – Larco Group of Cos. – $3.07 billion
- 33. Dennis “Chip” Wilson – Lululemon Athletica/KIT & ACE – $2.92 billion
- 50. Brandt Louie (Burnaby, B.C.) – H.Y. Louie Co. – $2.11 billion
- 91. Hassan Khosrowshahi – Inwest Investments, DRI Capital – $1.16 billion
- 98. Caleb & Tom Chan – Burrard International Holdings- $1.07 billion
- 99. U. Gary Charlwood – Uniglobe Travel International Partnership, Century 21 Canada Partnership – $1.03 billion