Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
February 24-March 2, 2018
- This week, our guest on the V.I.A. podcast is CBC’s Geoff Turner, host and creator of the podcast On Drugs.
2. Stop what you’re doing right now and watch this video of sea otters playing with snowballs. Just bookmark this page and come back to this roundup, promise?
3. VanDusen Botanical Garden has gone to the birds. In a good way!
4. During our recent snowstorms, intrepid Vancouverites took to skiing on the streets.
5. Remembering the Marpole Bridge, which joined Vancouver and Richmond.
6. Happy 60th anniversary to the Woodward’s $1.49 Day jingle. (It’s an earworm, for sure.)
7. Ever had “cheese tea”? Here’s where to find this popular drink in Vancouver.
8. Or you can go for a “hug in a cup,” which is what the new Starbucks tea lattes are like.
9. Rethinking local history and cultural heritage in Stanley Park.
10. We’ve got 19 Vancouver food events to check out in March. We’ll add more as the month gets going, too.
11. History enthusiasts will love these 6 Vancouver walking tours.
12. Meet the “cheftestants” representing Vancouver on the new season of Top Chef Canada.
13. New carshare company launches unique, pedal-powered, covered tricycles.
14. Developer plans to revive Hollywood Theatre, add condos.
15. This charity is auctioning off the naming rights to EVERYTHING they own.
16. Tanya Tagaq brings Greenlandic Inuit collaboration to Vancouver for three nights.
17. Virtuous Pie’s new location has vegan soft serve, new pizzas, and more.
18. Olympians and Canada’s sweethearts Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir will headline an ice skating tour headed to Vancouver this year.
19. This rescue dog went from severely emaciated to adoption-ready.
20. You can get a ramen “flight” for $10 at this Vancouver noodle shop.
21. Non-conformist Vancouver kids are bucking one trend of Pink Shirt Day.
22. The Pie Shoppe plans re-opening after fire damages East Van store.
23. This unique event brings Salt Spring Island to Vancouver for one weekend.
24. Here are 5 things you didn’t know about Yaletown.
25. Vancouver’s housing crisis is helping stuck-in-time Merritt get a rainbow crosswalk.
26. Canucks sign a new player who has THE BEST HOCKEY DAD EVER.
27. This 76-year-old marathon runner lives in an old school bus in the forest.
28. Vancouver-filmed Ghost Wars is now on Netflix.
29. New transit system mugs quench our thirst for Vancouver merch.
30. Moroccan restaurant Moltaqa opens in former Acme Cafe space.
31. This Instagram account shows people sleeping on Vancouver transit.
32. Everything you need to know about attending a wine tasting
33. A somewhat biased review of the greatest beer in the world.
34. Canucks to host 2019 NHL draft in Vancouver.
35. Film program has actually reduced LGBT2Q+ discrimination in B.C. schools.