Now in its eleventh year, Carnaval del Sol is set to transform Vancouver's Concord Pacific Place into the Pacific Northwest’s largest Latin-themed festival.
The family-friendly, two-day event welcomes over 450 artists from around the world to dazzle crowds with an array of vibrant performances, fascinating displays, and much more. They will perform on both the main stage and plazas which are meant to, "resemble a vibrant urban plaza in Latin America, full of sound, colour, tempting aromas, and thousands of smiling faces."
Presented by Latincouver, the festival offers a range of exciting music, dance, visual art, sports, and delectable eats.
“All of us at Latincouver are thrilled to be bringing back Carnaval del Sol for its 11th consecutive year,” says Latincouver’s executive director, Paola Murillo.
“This is the time of the year where you'll feel the vast and exciting Latin American culture right here in Vancouver. We look forward to celebrating with you!"
Plaza highlights will include the following:
- Tim Hortons Kids Plaza: Hands-on creative activities for youngsters, including face painting, storytelling, games and music.
- Arts Plaza: From sculpture and fashion to photography and handicrafts (including “live” painting, often accompanied by music), browse hundreds of brilliant artworks from talented Latin American artists.
- YVR Travel Plaza: Vancouver International Airport brings you dance, music, games and prizes.
- Experiences Plaza: Witness authentic Latin American fare created before your eyes at a variety of live cooking demos hosted by acclaimed chefs, including David Alcaraz of Miltomates Foods, and Eliane Trovo of Boteco Brasil.
- Driftwood Beer Plaza: From noon to 9 p.m., unwind while enjoying delicious food and live music in this 1,000-capacity, adults-only zone.
- Food Plaza: Some of British Columbia’s best Latin American restaurants and food trucks bring their culinary wizardry to one location. Savour the flavours of Mexico, Peru, Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, El Salvador, and Cuba.
- Family Plaza: All ages will be captivated by live music and DJs, an exclusive fashion show, and much more to be announced.
- Jose Cuervo Lounge Plaza: An exclusive area for SuperPass holders, media, artists, and government officials.
The festival kicks off at Concord Pacific Place on Saturday, July 6 at 11 a.m.
When: Saturday, July 6 and Sunday, July 7 from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Where: Concord Pacific Place | 88 Pacific Boulevard, Vancouver, BC
Cost: $2 per adult (free admission for kids under 12). Two-day SuperPass for $15 offers admittance to the Jose Cuervo Lounge Plaza, front-of-the-line access to the Driftwood Beer Plaza, festival souvenirs, discounts on select vendors, and more.