This week on the Vancouver Is Awesome Podcast we sit down with Corinne Lea, General Manager of The Rio Theatre. Lea walks us through the venue's backstory, including the recent months of turmoil and the logistics of raising money to buy it from the current landlord before someone else does.
The Rio Theatre is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, and, most importantly, because of the terms of Lea's tenancy, no matter how the buying process plays out, the venue as we know it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Lea explains how that all works, as well as catches us up on the latest on the Rio's historic crowd-funding campaign, and why actor James Franco should probably pitch in a little, too.
Sitting in for Bob Kronbauer again this week is V.I.A. Content Editor Adam Nanji. Adam and Lindsay take a look at the notion of "overdosing" on marijuana, why the Grocery and Specialty Food West show and conference is Lindsay's favourite time of year, and why Adam is going to do some baking by himself.
Plus, a shout out to the Vancouver Heritage Foundation's new guide to historic Chinatown, and Lindsay's love for one of the seven remaining Interurban streetcars left from Metro Vancouver's urban light rail boom days.
Show notes for Ep. 21
- Almost 40 cannabis “overdose” victims treated at St Paul’s during 420 in Vancouver
- Yes cannabis overdoses are a thing and no we’re not trying to incite reefer madness by telling you about them
- 13 quick facts you need to know about B.C.’s upcoming pot laws
- 10 new things to look for on your grocery store shelves in Vancouver
- The Rio Theatre website
- "Save the Rio" campaign
- James Franco first saw "The Room" at The Rio
- Rio Theatre crowdfunding campaign makes history
- Story Story Lie: Tall tales enthrall audiences at this live storytelling game show
- Check out Vancouver Heritage Foundation’s new historic Chinatown map and guide
- Where to see one of only 7 surviving Vancouver Interurban streetcars
Produced and hosted by Lindsay William-Ross and Bob Kronbauer.
Additional support from Adam Nanji.
Our Associate Producer is Albert Van Santvoort.
We record in the studio at Glacier Media, 303 West 5th Avenue in Mt Pleasant.
Theme song is Vancouver BC by The Smugglers ©1990, available on iTunes.
Come back each week for a new episode!