|ReVIEWS, preVIEWS, interVIEWS, and overVIEWS: here's where you'll find out what the Vancouver Book Club team thinks about the literary scene in Vancouver. What you should read, where you should go, who you should sit up and notice.|
Yesterday we told you about the great Word on the Street events that were happening yesterday and today. Well, things are going to get crazy tomorrow at Library Square. If ever there was a day you wish you could clone yourself, this is it. First of all, check out the site plan:
So much activity! All the named tents will have readings, workshops, panel discussions, and performances throughout the day. The unnamed tents will be full of exhibitors including publishers, magazines, writing groups, book stores and book artists. You can find Vancouver is Awesome in T8 as part of Magazine Mews.
Rather than list all the great things happening, here's our pick of the 12 things we want to see tomorrow:
- V6A: Writings from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside - 11 a.m. - Canada Writes Tent Any time you get an opportunity to hear some of the contributors to this book, take it because no two readings will ever be alike.
- Daniel/Billeh/Daniela - 12 pm - Poetry Tent Spend a wonderful 45 minutes with 3 of our favourite poets, Daniel Zomparelli, Billeh Nickerson & Daniela Elza, as they read from their latest collections.
- There is no "I" in Reporter - 12 pm - Magazine Life Tent There's at least one of us here at VBC who can't get enough of JJ Lee talking about fashion and writing about fashion. He's joined by Zool Suleman, Kevin Chong and Roberta Staley as they talk about the relationship between changing technologies and reporting the story.
- Soundwalking Stories on Foot - 12-4 pm - start at the Info/Merch Tent on Homer. Join Vancouver New Music and the Vancouver Soundwalk Collective as they guide you on a 20-minute long musical-sonic adventure around the festival site.
- Billie Livingston - 12:20 - Authors Tent Okay, we're a little biased with this one as Billie's latest book One Good Hustle is our fall book club selection. Go listen to her read and get a taste of the story. Pick up a copy and join us November 8.
- Vancouver Squeezebox Circle - 12:40 - Mainstage If you're still suffering withdrawal after the Accordion Noir Festival, this is sure to help you.
- W.H. New - 1:45 pm - Poetry Tent New's YVR was recently awarded the City of Vancouver Book Award.
- Pinhole Photography - 2 pm - Magazine Life Tent and downstairs in The Moat
Join Katie Stewart from Sad Mag for a discussion on the Sea Legs Pinhole Photography workshop that the magazine conducted. There will also be camera building stations so you can check out the equipment used, and many of the images are on display downstairs below the library promenade.
- Vancouver Hug Day - 2:05 pm - Mainstage Group hug!
- George Bowering - 2:20 pm - Canada Writes Tent Canada's first Parliamentary Poet Laureate is a masterful storyteller. It's like spending time with your favourite uncle as he regales you with stories and observations.
- Tell Me a Story - 3 pm - Word Talks Occasional VBC contributor and CiTR Arts Director Maegan Thomas hosts a panel discussion looking at the changing voice of oral storytelling. Panelists include Sirish Rao, Haida Elder Woody Morrison, Candice James, and former VBC Editor Lizzy Karp, founder of Rain City Chronicles.
- Literacy Lane - all day - Hamilton Street
If you've got kids or are into kid's lit then this is the place for you. Author readings, storytelling and fun activities await you in the Kids Tent and the Family Literacy Tent, plus on the Family Stage.