The scenic views of mountains, oceans, beaches, and the Stanley Park seawall along the BMO Vancouver Marathon route has earned this annual event the designation of one of the World’s Top Destination Marathons by Forbes, CNN, and USA Today.
This Sunday, May 1, 2022 marks the 50th anniversary of the race and will bring together over 18,000 participants for the marathon, half marathon, and 8 km run.
The race routes will impact traffic on Saturday, April 30, in Vancouver’s Riley Park, Coal Harbour and Downtown area, and on May 1 in Riley Park, South Cambie, Oakridge, Fairview, Kerrisdale, Dunbar, UBC, Point Grey, Kitsilano, West End, Coal Harbour, Chinatown, Yaletown, Cambie, False Creek and Downtown neighbourhoods, according to the race's official website.
Road closures and detours (for full details see BMO Marathon website):
- Stanley Park: All roads, with the exception of the causeway, will be closed 6:30 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- Coal Harbour: West Hastings St, West Pender St, Thurlow St and Bute St south of Georgia all closed 5 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- West End: Pacific Ave, Beach Ave, Burrard St Bridge, and Cornwall Ave all closed until various times
- Yaletown: Homer St, Mainland, East Pender St, and Cambie St Bridge all closed until 8:45 a.m.
- False Creek/Chinatown: Quebec St, Dunsmir Viaduct northbound all closed until 9:15 a.m.
- Downtown Vancouver: Denman St from W Georgia to Seawall closed 7:30 a.m.– 12:45 p.m.
- Point Grey/Kitsilano: Burrard St Bridge, Chesnut St, Arbutus St, Point Grey Road, Alma St south of West 4th, and West 4th west of Alma all closed until approximately 1 p.m.
- South Cambie/ Oakridge/ Fairview: Cambie St southbound and West 49th west of Cambie St closed 10 a.m.
- Queen Elizabeth Park: Midlothian Ave closed Saturday 10 p.m. to Sunday 10 a.m.; 33rd Ave at Main St closed midnight to noon Sunday; Cambie St to Main St, from King Edward Ave to W 41st local traffic only 5 - 9 a.m.; and W 29th Ave from Cambie St to Midlothian Ave closed until 9 a.m.
- UBC/ Endowment Lands/ Dunbar/ Southlands/ Kerrisdale: NW/SW Marine Drive, West 16th Ave, Blanca St to University Boulevard, Imperial Dr, Camosun St, and West 49th all closed until approximately 11 a.m.
For access to certain high traffic public areas:
- The airport: between 7:30 and 9:30 a.m., BMO is reccomending using Main Street to Marine Drive.
- Coal Harbour can be accessed via West Cordova from Burrard between the hours of 6 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Canada Place is accessible from West Hastings via Main Street.
- The Hillcrest Community Centre is local access only on May 1 via Main Street and 30th.
Tansit detours (See Translink site for full details and detour maps):
- Macdonald/Downtown: 6 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Powell/Downtown/UBC: 7:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Robson/Downtown: 6 - 9 a.m.
- Davie/Downtown: 6 - 9 a.m.
- Boundary/Commercial-Broadway/Granville/Alma/UBC: 5:30 - 9 a.m.
- Granville/Downtown: 8 - 10 a.m. (Shuttle bus in effect to provide coverage south of 41 Ave due to BMO Marathon)
- Cambie/Olympic Village Station: 6 - 9:30 a.m.(15 Cambie/17 Oak shuttle from 8 - 11 a.m. in effect to provide coverage south of 41 Ave)
- 29th Avenue Station/Arbutus: 8 - 10 a.m. (16 Arbutus shuttle in effect from 8 - 11 a.m. to provide coverage south of 41 Ave)
- Downtown/Oak: 17 Oak detour from 5 - 9:45 a.m.
- Metrotown Station/Stanley Park: 10:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Knight/Downtown | 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- Main St Station/Beach: 6:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Brentwood Station/UBC: 6 a.m. - noon
- 29th Avenue Station/UBC: 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Joyce Station/Crown: 6 a.m. - noon
- Metrotown Station/Dunbar Loop/UBC: 7 a.m. - noon
- UBC Exchange/Wesbrook Village: 7:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- UBC/VCC-Clark Station: 7:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Commercial-Broadway/UBC (B-Line): 6 - 9 a.m.