CNN Travel has included Kitsilano pool on its list of the world's best places for swimming.
From man-made baths to natural bodies of water, the list covers the perfect places to cool off during a heat spell. For those who aren't looking to brave the surf, the list includes pools that offer the ideal vantage point to soak in beautiful scenery while staying out of the way of kayakers and kite-boarders.
CNN Travel selected 20 stellar swimming spots for its global roundup, with locations in North America, Africa, Asia, Europe, South America and Australia.
Report authors note that Kitsilano Pool is the longest saltwater pool in North America, and that it only takes 12 lengths to complete a mile. They add that the Vancouver gem is located right by the beach, and offers spellbinding city and mountain views. In addition, they note that, "Those swimming with their heads up can catch a glimpse of seaplanes coming into land."
Last year, CNN Travel included Kits Pool in its round-up of the world's best tidal and oceanside pools.
Here are the top 20 places to swim around the world:
- Loch An Eilein, Scotland
- Pont du Gard, France
- Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel, Peru
- Bajos del Toro Cloud Forest, Costa Rica
- Schlachtensee, Berlin, Germany
- Voidomatis Springs, Vikos Gorge, Greece
- Allas Sea Pools, Helsinki, Finland
- River Aare, Bern, Switzerland
- Frenchman's Hole, Maine, USA
- Kitsilano Pool, Vancouver, Canada
- Havnebadet, Aarhus, Denmark
- Seljavallalaug, Iceland
- Giles Baths, Coogee Beach, Australia
- Lake Bohinj, Slovenia
- Vatternstranden, Jonkoping, Sweden
- Laghetti D'Avola, Syracuse, Sicily
- Akigawa River, Japan
- Dalebrook Tidal Pool, Cape Town, South Africa
Located along Kitsilano Beach, the opening of the Vancouver outdoor pool marks the unofficial start of summer for many residents of the Lower Mainland. The popular pool measures in at a whopping 137 metres in length, and has three slides. It also offers breathtaking views of the ocean, the mountains, Kits Beach, and the skyline of Vancouver’s West End.