Skip to content
Join our Newsletter
Join our Newsletter

UPDATE: Two arrested, charged in fatal attack on 78-year-old Vancouver woman

Sunday's attack became a homicide investigation after the woman died Tuesday
vancouver police car
The two suspects were arrested yesterday, Feb. 2. Vancouver Courier File photo

Two men have been arrested and charged after a deadly attack on a senior in her home this weekend.

"Pascal Bouthilette, 41, is now charged with second-degree murder in connection with the case. Sandy Parisian, 47, is charged with manslaughter," states the Vancouver Police Department (VPD) in a press release.

The two posed as police officers when they knocked on Usha Singh's door the morning of Sunday, Jan. 31. Police believe after she opened the door to the two men they attacked her, leaving her badly injured on the ground; she was found hours after the attack when a neighbour called the police out of concern for Singh.

She was taken to hospital where she died Tuesday, according to a VPD press release.

Police arrested Bouthilette and Parisian yesterday.

"A 47-year-old man (Parisian), who was also wanted Canada-wide for unrelated offenses, was arrested near Strathcona Park with help from a VPD police dog. He suffered a serious, but non-life-threatening injury during the arrest," state the VPD in the release.

The Independent Investigations Office has been alerted about the Parisian's injuries, which were treated at a hospital before he was taken to jail.

The second alleged attacker, Bouthilette, was arrested near Main Street and Terminal Avenue.

"This was a tragic and senseless crime that cost an innocent woman her life, and struck fear and anxiety in the community,” says Sgt. Steve Addison in a release, noting police hope the arrests alleviate some of the fear in the city caused by the attack.

As Singh has passed away it is now a homicide investigation.

Anyone with information about the attack is asked to call the VPD at 604-717-2500 or anonymously call Crime Stoppers a 1-800-222-8477.

Editor's note: This story was updated at 3:45 p.m. with new information from the Vancouver Police Department.