Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

Video: Shirtless man climbs onto beached English Bay barge (yes it’s still there)

Some ropes hanging off the end seemed to draw him in

A live stream focused on the English Bay Barge caught an unusual sight Tuesday afternoon. 

Around 2:10 p.m. on July 5 a group of people can be seen walking on the beach near the barge. After a couple of minutes, one of the group members, a shirtless man wearing just a pair of black shorts or swim trunks, takes a look at a rope hanging off the end of the barge.

He decides to take a shot at climbing it, which doesn't go well at first. Eventually, though, he is able to haul himself up and onto the barge's main deck, disappearing through a doorway inside the empty hulk that had been used to haul woodchips.

A couple of minutes he appears in the doorway again, tosses something down to the ground near one of his group that stuck around, and climbs down. The two disappear off-screen as they walk to the seawall.

The entire time, what appears to be a security vehicle sits on the grass near the barge.

The barge is to be removed soon; recently new fencing was put in place as the company VanPile prepares to cut up and remove the giant steel hulk.

"It is not safe for the public to be on or near the barge. Security is on-site. The site is fenced off and clearly marked for public safety," says Jenn Wint, a spokesperson for the barge removal effort, in an email to Vancouver Is Awesome.

While the city is the one paying for the security at the barge, it won't be up to the taxpayers to cover the costs.

"The barge owner is responsible for all costs related to the removal of the barge," writes Wint. "The City has been tracking all costs related to the barge and will be seeking reimbursement for any costs incurred by the barge owner and its representatives."

On June 29 it was announced the removal process had begun, but the actual cutting up of the barge is not yet underway. When it does happen it'll be going on Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m to 5:30 p.m.