One way of honouring this year's International Women's Day theme of 'Choose to Challenge' is to choose to seek out and celebrate the achievements of women.
In the world of the performing arts, there are so many talented women-identifying artists from all around the globe to champion and celebrate.
On March 8, Mezzo Live HD presents Women & Music, a special television program dedicated to amplifying the voices and talents of women in classical music, jazz, and dance.
Women & Music will feature an all-day lineup of concert, opera, and ballet performances starring women soloists, conductors, dancers, choreographers, instrumentalists, composers, and others.
Many of the programs will be aired for the first time on TV, including shows by renowned names like mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato and jazz vocalist Dianne Reeves, along with up-and-coming young talents such as conductor Mirga Gražinyte-Tyla.
Viewers won’t want to miss the special concert presentation featuring the Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal as conducted by Susanna Mälkki last October 2020.
Mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato at the 2020 Bayreuth Baroque Opera Festival. Photo provided by Mezzo Live HD.
Programme highlights from Women & Music include:
- Pianist Varvara Nepomnyashchaya and Orchestre National de Lille at Nouveau Siècle (2019)
- Mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato at the Bayreuth Baroque Opera Festival (2020)
- Soprano Sabine Devieilhe and Les Siècles at Philharmonie de Paris (2017)
- Conductor Ariane Matiakh and Orchestre de Paris at Philharmonie de Paris (2021)
- Jazz vocalist Youn Sun Nah at the D'jazz Nevers Festival (2019)
- Drummer Anne Paceo at Jazz sous les Pommiers (2020)
- The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra with conductor Elim Chan and violinist Simone Lamsma perform Tchaikovsky at Amsterdam’s Royal Concertgebouw (2019)
- Robot! with choreography by Blanca Li at Maison des Arts & de la Culture de Créteil (2013)
- Vocalist Dianne Reeves at Lotos Jazz Festival (2014)
- Conductor Susanna Mälkki with Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal at Maison Symphonique (2020)
- Conductor Mirga Gražinyte-Tyla with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra at BBC London Proms (2019)
- Conductor Marin Alsop and pianist Khatia Buniatishvili with Orchestre de Paris perform Beethoven and Shostakovich at Philharmonie de Paris (2020)
- The Trio Sōra (piano, violin, and cello) perform Beethoven at the Fondation Singer Polignac in Paris (2020)
There will be a live concert broadcast in honour of International Women's Day at 2:30 p.m. with special guest, pianist Maria João Pires, who will perform an exclusive recital from the Fondation Singer-Polignac in Paris.
For more info about the event, visit mezzo.tv.
Founded in 1998, Mezzo operates and broadcasts two complementary pay TV channels —Mezzo and Mezzo Live HD — dedicated to classical music, jazz, dance, and opera performances.
Through partnerships with the best musical institutions, venues, orchestras, opera houses, festivals, and ballets from all over the world, Mezzo is dedicated to finding the most exciting performances in the world, featuring the greatest names in music and dance today and the new talents of tomorrow.
Distributed in 80 countries, Mezzo brings the ultimate concert hall experience to 60 million households across the globe.