Travellers to airports in Vancouver and Toronto will now be able to save time using a new feature in the ArriveCAN app.
Effective Tuesday (June 28), travellers arriving at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) and Lester B. Pearson International Airport (YYZ) can save time by using the new "Advance CBSA Declaration" optional feature in ArriveCAN.
Travellers to these two airports may submit their customs and immigration declaration in advance of arrival, reducing the amount of time they spend in the airport.
Currently, only travellers to YVR and YYZ's Terminals one and three may use the new feature; it will be made available at other airports across Canada as the year continues.
All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN when entering the country.
ArriveCAN application: How it works
The Advance CBSA Declaration optional feature is available on the ArriveCAN app and on the web version.
In order to use it, enter your mandatory travel and health information and then follow the prompt on your receipt page.
To submit an Advance CBSA Declaration for yourself or your group before your trip, you must:
- confirm travel document information
- answer the customs and immigration questions truthfully
- send the declaration within 72 hours of arriving in Canada
You will receive confirmation of your Advance CBSA Declaration, including your reference number, by email.
When your flight lands, you must:
- scan your travel document(s) at the airport kiosk or eGate where available (note a maximum of 5 travellers can use one kiosk at a time, and one traveller can use one eGate at a time – travellers using eGates must be 16 years of age or more)
- the kiosk/eGate will retrieve your declaration information
- review and edit your declaration (if required) then submit your final declaration to the CBSA
- take the kiosk or eGate receipt to a border services officer for further processing
Another travel time-saving tip
Transport Canada encourages frequent travellers to take advantage of the “saved traveller” feature in ArriveCAN. By doing this, an individual's travel documents and proof of vaccination are saved in the app for reuse.
The next time you need to book travel, your information will be pre-populated, which makes it faster and more convenient.
Find out more information about how to use ArriveCAN.