Vancouver International Airport (YVR) has expanded its express program to include flights within Canada and to some international destinations.
Travellers departing from B.C.'s biggest airport can now reserve a spot at the security checkpoint ahead of their flight during peak hours for flights within Canada, to the United States, and to select international destinations.
The YVR Express Program launched in October 2022, providing travellers to the U.S. with an option to "skip the line" by pre-booking a reservation through an online portal.
When is the YVR Express program available for Vancouver flights?
The program is currently available for passengers travelling from the main terminal. Passengers departing from other terminals cannot reserve a spot.
Flights within Canada
Appointments for flights in Canada are available from 180 to 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- Travellers flying within Canada on flights scheduled between 6:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. may use the feature.
- YVR EXPRESS is available daily from 5:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Security Checkpoint ABC and 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Security Checkpoint 3 (on Level 4).
Flights to the United States
Appointments for flights to the U.S. are available from 180 to 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- Travellers flying to the U.S. with flights scheduled between 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. may use the feature.
- YVR Express is available daily from 4:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. at Security Checkpoint E.
Flights to other international destinations
Appointments for flights to other international destinations are available from 220 to 60 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- Travellers flying to other international destinations with flights scheduled between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m.
- YVR Express is available daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Security Checkpoint D.
How do I use the YVR Express program to book Vancouver flights?
The portal will ask you to fill out the following four steps to start:
- Flight information: Date of the trip, flight destination, airline, and flight number.
- Party size: Number of people in your party and appointment time. (Note: YVR will hold your slot for 15 minutes before or after your appointment time. However, you will need sufficient time to clear US Customs after Security Screening.)
- Check the information you provided is correct.
Once you select your booking time, a QR code will be sent to your email that you will present to airport staff at the security checkpoint within 15 minutes of your scheduled time.
YVR recommends booking your appointment early because it has limited appointments, and slots fill up quickly. Reservations can be made up to 72 hours before your flight. However, the airport may not have available bookings during peak travel times.
Passengers travelling with a group may book on behalf of the other passengers in their travelling party by specifying the total party size in the booking process. Up to 10 passengers may be included in a group booking.
When you arrive at the airport, check any bags and walk up to your assigned security screening checkpoint. There will be "YVR EXPRESS" signs at your assigned Security Checkpoint. Show airport staff your reservation QR code, and you are ready to go through screening.
- Find out more information and book your appointment with the YVR Express Program.
- Canadians heading across the border can also take advantage of a new option that allows them to submit their information digitally in advance of travel.
While travellers to Canada are no longer required to enter their information into the ArriveCAN app, they can save time at the border by using it. The app allows them to submit their customs declaration in advance.
- Find out more about how the ArriveCAN app can save you time.