Skip to content
Join our Newsletter
VIA store 300x100
Join our Newsletter

Coronavirus latest: 7th case revealed in B.C.

The man in his 40s was in close contact with the province's 6th case.
henry
B.C.'s top medical health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry and B.C. health minister Adrian Dix. Screenshot

A seventh case of coronavirus (COVID-19) has been announced in B.C.

B.C.'s top medical health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, said the new case, a man in his 40s, was in close contact with the province's sixth case, which was revealed last week.

Henry said the latest case is a man in the Fraser Health region and he is in isolation at his home in that area.

"He had onset of symptoms prior to case six's diagnosis," added Henry.

"There have been a number of close contacts [with case six] and they are also in isolation.

"They are all in stable condition and in isolation."

Henry said authorities have been in touch with a "number of close contacts" from the sixtth case and "no one else showing symptoms at the moment."

The sixth case was a woman in her 30s, who had recently travelled to Iran.

Authorities revealed on Sunday that the woman was a passenger aboard a Vancouver-bound Air Canada flight who later tested positive for COVID-19.

Air Canada confirmed the passenger flew from Montreal to Vancouver Feb. 14, and said health officials confirmed the case with the airline Saturday.

The airline added it is working with public health authorities and has taken "all recommended measures."

The woman went to a local hospital with flu-like symptoms after returning to B.C., and is recovering in isolation at her home in the Fraser Health region.

Other passengers on the flight who sat near the woman, as well as flight crew, are being notified, according to the PHSA, which did not provide a flight number.

The case is being called a "sentinel event," or an indicator of more widespread transmission, as the patient did not have a connection to China or that country's Hubei province, where the virus originated.

Iran has announced 43 cases of COVID-19 and eight deaths as of Sunday.

B.C. has five other confirmed cases, although one has since recovered.

Meanwhile, officials in Ontario announced another case of COVID-19 in Toronto on Saturday: a woman who arrived in Canada from China on Friday.

Ontario health officials said she wore a mask during her flight to Toronto and had limited exposure to others after landing.

She is Ontario's only active case of COVID-19, as that province's three previously-confirmed cases have all recovered.

As of Monday morning, COVID-19 has infected 79,746 people around the world and killed 2,628, most of whom are in China.

Read more from the Richmond News