The jolliest parade of the year returns to Vancouver this weekend, and with it some major street closures.
The annual Santa Claus Parade takes place on Sunday, Dec. 2 at noon; however, the streets will be closed well before noon.
The festive event features marching bands, dance troupes, festive floats and community groups, which entertain over 300,000 spectators. As a result, it requires a great deal of space.
The parade begins at West Georgia and Broughton, and then it travels east along West Georgia. It turns South on Howe, and then finishes at Howe and Davie.
Vancouver Santa Claus Parade: Street Closures
Set-up and Marshalling area:
Parking restrictions in effect 6:00 am to 4:00 pm Road Closure 8:30 am to 3:00 pm (Except Broughton, from Robson to Alberni Road Closure is 7:00 to 3:00 pm)
• South side West Georgia between Cardero and Broughton
• Both sides Alberni between Cardero and Jervis
• Both sides Nicola between West Georgia and Robson
• Both sides Broughton between West Georgia and Robson
• West Georgia will remain open as long as possible prior to the parade but road closures will be in effect on above sections of Alberni, Nicola and Broughton.
Parking restrictions in effect 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Road Closure in effect 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
• West Georgia from Cardero to Seymour
• Howe from Dunsmuir to Davie
Parking restrictions in effect 7:00 am to 4:00 pm Road Closure 10:00 am to 4:30 pm
• Both sides Hornby, between Davie and Pacific
• Both sides Drake, between Howe and Burrard
• East side Burrard from Pacific to Davie
• The above sections of Hornby, Drake and Burrard
City work crews are also going to post no stopping signs along the parade route and in the marshalling and dispersal areas. In addition, Vancouver Police will be on hand to assist with road closures and any safety related issues.